Friday, May 20, 2011

Must Have Item #6: Loungewear

Surfing the net this morning and I came on the following post:  http://3hourspast.blogspot.com/2011/05/finished-object-housecoat-1939-or-my.html

It reminded me that one of the foundations of any wife's wardobe must be something that is "comfortable enough to wear after a bath, pretty enough not to frighten the husband, and modest enough not to shock the children".

Of course my own wardrobe is sadly lacking in this item... I have a few stand-ins, but nothing I really feel totally pleased about.   It goes on that very long sewing list in my mind, as I don't think that the offerings in most stores fit the bill. 

Think about this:  Every day, you take a shower.  Unless you immediately throw yourself in bed or in your daytime clothes, you have a sartorial problem.  Personally, I slather on half a bottle of lotion after showers, so I'm sticky and disinclined to wear "real clothes" until I absorb a bit.  Likewise, I don't always want to jump out of bed in the morning and jump right into my daytime clothing.  And sometimes it's been a long day and I want to get in my jammies but I don't particularly want to sit in my living room in them... especially in front of my pre-teen son and a wide open window.

Vintage items or patterns can give us a boost in these areas of concern.  After all, the gracious woman of times past (aka a woman with leisure and money enough to afford such things) wouldn't be found dead in her nightie sitting and reading a novel on the couch with the children still awake.

A dressing gown or a housedress (a NICE housedress, I'm sure I'm not the only one scarred visually by the muumuuesque housedresses of the 70s) is a solution to the problem, if one chooses the pattern and fabric carefully to allow for an absence of supportive undergarments.  There are other solutions as well - but one must *think* about the problem!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I don't have a housedress, but that is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.