Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ugly or Gorgeous?

I was reading a comment thread over at Traditional Chrisitanity and it sparked this blog. 

Women have bought into the lie of "Ugly or Gorgeous"?  When I was the new kid in a ritzy school, I got targeted by some mini-socialites, and they used to play a game with me where they'd come up and ask if I thought that I was ugly or gorgeous.  I remember looking at them and saying, "Pretty".  But that wasn't an okay answer.  Honestly, I was realistic about my looks (minus my grooming, which needed help, as does most 6th graders'). 

By the time I'd spent three years with that crew (not by choice), I'd been pretty well convinced that I was ugly after all.  And I gave up.  Gave up trying.  I was just going to cover myself from head to toe and try not to be noticed.  It took my husband a year and a half of compliments to get me out of that rut. 

Most of the women that I see seem to have chosen up sides.  They either choose to go full throttle to display their sexuality and all of their wares - or they give up and wear what amounts to men's clothing.  There are very few women who walk the line now, who know how to be beautiful.

This is sad.  Very few women look good in either the full display or the men's clothing.  Some do, certainly... but they're few and far between.  Most women's looks are improved by a bit of lipgloss, a ribbon or two, and clothing made to accentuate their curves.  Women generally look more feminine and attractive while wearing colors.

Why do we have to be sure of winning every prize in order to get up and play the game at all?

This is not a win/lose game.  It's a continuum... and every day calls a different face to the fore.

To Be Lovely...

2 comments:

  1. I really could not agree with you more... I tend to try to compete with myself, so to speak... I figure that's the only way to go... I can't compare myself to other people, or try to be exactly like them because I'm not, I'm me...

    I hate it that girls are taught from a very early age to nitpick each other and compare like that. My 3-year old came home from preschool the other day talking about "So and so doesn't like so and so, so she can't go to her party" and I was like "WHAT?" It sure starts young... I just try to run a little damage control.. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see on MSN this morning the new trend among teenage girls - posting videos of themselves to youtube and then asking strangers to rate their looks?

      It's heartbreaking.

      Having some great Bible Study that's fishtailing with this, so expect to see more on this on the blog soon.

      Delete

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.