Today I added a beautiful basic denim skirt to my wardrobe. It's made off of a pattern I know to be quite flattering. I'm pleased to announce that I did my own resketching of the pattern pieces - I made the original two-piece skirt into a six-gore skirt. It's nice - it uses a great deal less fabric, the subtle vertical seams are slimming, and it gives me the option of adding topstitching.
I also added ornamental stitching at the hem. It has some function* because I find that my homemade denim skirts have an unfortunate tendency to flip up at the edge, and I'm hoping a bit of stitching will hold it down where it belongs. But you can see the subtle look even on the picture above...
All in all, I'm very pleased - and I intend to wear this basic for some years to come.
* The function of the topstitching (in addition to beauty) is seam finishing - I flipped the seams under and got rid of any pesky raw edges, so I can be as proud of the inside of my skirt as I am of the outside.