Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Overdressed

Thank you, Elizabeth Cline.  You've given me blogging (and ranting) material for the next month. 

I just finished my copy of Overdressed:  The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/overdressed-elizabeth-l-cline/1110853947?ean=9781591844617 - no, I don't get kickback). 

I'm a little bit sick to my stomach right now, to be honest.  Obscenity is the only word I can use for the state of fashion these days.  Oh sure - I knew that the cheap shirts at Target and JCP and ... were cheap, not just inexpensive.  But I didn't understand that they were made with planned obsolescence in mind.  The environmental cost, the human cost... oh my.

I am even more committed to my sewing after reading that book - and even more committed to my ideal of building a wardrobe of beautiful, well-fitting basics that will last, filled in with butterflies that bring joy to my soul. 

You want green fashion?  Forget trying to figure out what the carbon footprint of your rayon shirt is.  Buy the best (natural fiber) you can afford.  Make it yours (if you don't sew it, have it tailored).  Take exquisite care of it (which will be easier if it's higher quality) and make it last.  When you are done with it, repurpose it.  That's green. 

Items should be useful, beautiful or both.  If it isn't  useful and/or beautiful... it should never have been made in the first place. 

My head is reeling after this book... it's not just clothes, I know it's everything we consume, and it's repulsive in the extreme. 

Read it, but be ready to be changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.