Thursday, March 21, 2013

When Universally Flattering... isn't.

My husband was telling me that if he could dress me, I'd wear more short skirts.  So, I had a bit of extra time on my hands on the way to pick up my son one day, and I dropped into one of the various local discount clothing stores.  If you're going to experiment wildly, no sense paying much, right?

I didn't find much - polyester city, ew - but I did find a dark denim, slim cut, stretchy mini skirt.  2" over the knee.  If there is something that is held up as the holy grail of "universally flattering" - particularly to the shorter woman - it is the dark denim longish mini skirt. 

So I bought it.

The good thing is that DH doesn't think it's all that short, and clearly doesn't think it's all that cute.  Good for me.  Because while this is supposed to be as safe as it gets sartorially... it's SO not.

So very, very NOT.


And this is why it's good to take pictures of yourself and look at what's really going on.

You know what I've noticed lately?  My skin tone is so light that lighter colors rather than darker colors are more slimming.  I bought a white floral version of the shoes I wear all the time - and they look great.  Much better than the dark brown that I thought would be "invisible".

Always always - check your mirror instead of checking the fashion mags.  They might very well be 100% ... WRONG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.