Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Trying to get a unified field theory of style

How do you make a system of checks and balances, so that you look like yourself in your clothes?  This is important to me - not merely figure flattery, but to see a picture of myself and see MYSELF.  That's why I just changed my profile picture - I got a great picture of me that looks like the me that lives in my head.  I think it's probably telling that the picture was taken after an afternoon at the beach with my family, with air-dried, uncombed hair.

I changed the profile not only to be more representative of who I really am, but to remind me of how to get there.  I need the sun, the water, the sound of surf pounding on the shore...

I have a pinterest board where I pin things that remind me of myself too.  http://pinterest.com/hearthrose/images-that-tell-you-about-me/  Why?  Why go to all that work? 

For me, I find myself inspired by things so constantly, I am so easily swept away in "that's so pretty!" enthusiasms, that I often make things that don't quite suit me.  I used to buy things in the stores that didn't suit, simply because they fit and were the right color.  Sometimes it's fun to be someone else in your clothes, but *most* of the time, I want the line between self and ornamentation to be seamless.

Just flipping through the board always leaves me inspired.  Yes, I have a polka-dot dress to sew, and yes, it will look great in my run through with church things (I have a lot of church service to attend to, and daydresses are pretty much perfect), but that's not where my "self" is.  I feel far more like myself in a peasant blouse and my denim skirt.  (I wear my "jeans" at least twice-threetimes/wk - I should probably make another just like it).

Ideally, every bit of my wardrobe would feel like a second skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.