Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Mark 1

I've been hoping to find a blouse that I could really play with entredeaux, shirring, embroidery, etc etc.... and I think I just did.  /massive grin

It's a basic peasant blouse pattern.  From this I replaced the elastic with  a few rows of shirring, over which I put some machine embroidery. 

It was a bit stressful, putting it together - you can't tell how things are going to play out until the last stitch is sewn.  Will the neckline be too high?   Too low?  Too thick?  Too ruffly?  I've had all of those things happen with peasant blouses in the past.

I also had no clue where the sleeves were going to end up.  I thought the tight bit would be just over the elbow... yeah.... anyway I like where it landed.  :)
 
Here's a closeup of the embroidery.  I think it's disappearing - and that I need *more*.  :) I didn't want to overdo it on this one... although there's a good chance of it getting a post-bath extra row or two. 

 
This is the fourth shirt I've made from this fabric (I got a great deal) and I think the fabric finally found its happy place - it was certainly not too thrilled with the other, more formal, makes.  It's draping beautifully, IMO.
 
 The fabric is very nearly see-through, so layers are a requirement.  I will try with a bit less basic underlayer (I have a pretty edwardianish camisole) which I think will look nicer than the bright white tank I'm wearing in this picture.
 
I have a feeling this is going to be a long hot summer - and I think now I have a blouse to work with it! 
 
I'm happy and grateful.  Thanks, Lord - You totally made this happen!  (Boy howdy did He.  To the point of mild amusement).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.