Saturday, October 19, 2013

Roses and Butterflies

I finished my rose skirt today.  I *love* this skirt.  This fabric suits me so perfectly... it makes me happy!  :)  Clothing should make you happy, shouldn't it?

Please don't judge the fabulousness of this skirt by my picture, I get very unenthused around selfie #3, and I'm feeling a bit off today anyhow. 



Construction notes:

I took a lesson from my yellow skirt of the same pattern (it's a three-tier skirt attached to the petticoat top with a zipper from a folkwear petticoat pattern).  Since this is a skirt - something on top - instead of a petticoat - designed to go smoothly underneath - I moved the top gather up to a more flattering place on my stomach/hips.  This prevents that gnarly flattery issue which is the main reason you'll never see me in the yellow skirt sans overlayer.

I simplified the pattern a bit, which seems to have made it overall a bit shorter.  Works, though I prefer another couple of inches.  I'll get a lot of use out of this, the slightly shorter hemline is more practical.  Imagine this with my workboots!  (Go ahead.  Because this *will* happen). 

Fairly pleased with my solution for seam finishing gathered skirts.  I use a decorative stitch and sew ribbon over the raw seams (after trimming/pressing).   This keeps everything in place nicely, and it looks cute from the outside too. 



See?  Just a subtle bit of sweetness.  Okay.  I'm wearing a skirt covered with roses and butterflies, perhaps "subtle" isn't the word.  Hey, I can carry this off!  You may not want to try this at home.  ;)


So, even though this was a low-energy day, I'm a happy Hearthie.

6 comments:

  1. I love it! I love the colors, I like the jacket you are wearing. You look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Did you see the entry, "Kismet"? I stole the jacket from BFF.

      Delete
  2. I love that fabric, Hearthie. So, so pretty and the cut of the skirt is flattering. I'm still dithering over skirts at my house. I may have to go out shopping (sigh) and try some things on. I wish I had the time to sew right now but there is no way I can manage it at this particular season of my life. Perhaps after #2 graduates. :) In the meantime, I love seeing what you are making and hanging out at your pinterest site.

    Magistra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! This is a very simple design and lends itself to my life. The yellow one is VERY yellow and I have to wear it with a particular tshirt... and I still find myself reaching for it constantly. I know this skirt will get worn to death. Enjoy having you "around". :D

      Delete

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.