Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hospitality

An important Christian virtue is hospitality - it's one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.  I used to be super hospitable, my door was always open, but not so much anymore.  Not that the door has closed, but I've stopped inviting folks.  Life got busy, I got focused on perfection... eh. 

So DH and I decided to stop fliffyfluffing around and start just DOING IT - opening our doors to folks, inviting them over.

I was going to a women's Bible study for quite some time, and it's stopped... I was meaning to invite a couple of the girls over for coffee.  I finally got that done today.  Yes, I have all the gear to go completely insane... but I didn't want to do that, I wanted to have folks feel at home.

So I brought out my teacups and my coffee and sugar and cream (yes, I have china, yes, I use it).  I put out the white tablecloth on the end table I pressed into service as a coffee table.  I invited a couple of the ladies over... we sat and chatted for a couple of hours.  It was nice!  Not earth shattering, but nice. 

The other night, we had a family about the same size/constitution as our own over for dinner.  Again, not earthshaking, but it was fun. 

I like doing this stuff... it's fun to get back to it.  No, the cleaning and prep is a pain, but having folks over?  Yes please.

And I like to feed people, which should surprise no one.  :)  You know, you don't have to get all fancy or expensive when you offer hospitality.  This was candied ginger and pecans - both of which were in the pantry.

 
 
 
In both cases, the invitees were *thrilled* to be asked to come over.  People are so very lonely these days.... you really don't have to be perfect to offer up some fun. 

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how "nice" is underrated these days? We always seem to be in pursuit of "wonderful" and "exciting", etc., but there really is a place for "nice". BTW - your end table looks adorable add dolled up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people like humble hospitality more than over the top... although there is a place for that too.

      Delete
  2. This is one of those areas I definitely need to improve upon. we find ourselves doing impromptu hospitality from time to time, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to throw full out luncheon teas every couple of weeks... 10 years ago. 15 years ago, half the weeknights found eight people at my dinner table (before I had kids). I've been known to make 20 people do a full china, crystal, silver Christmas supper (which required some juggling of tables and limbo contests). But lately? Slacking off. And I miss it. And DH misses it. So - no more sitting around and "missing it" - I'm doing something about it!!! :p

      Delete

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.