Sunday, March 16, 2014

Recipe Post: Italian Breakfast

I think I wrote about working with the groundskeeping crew at church, and how the Italian guy who runs it feeds everyone a gourmet breakfast?  Well, I was taking mental notes as I chopped up vegetables, and I made my own version this morning.  It *has* been approved by the familia, and there's a good chance of me making this for dinner some day (with roasted veg for a side) too.  It's a stovetop fritatta, if you want to put a label on it, I'll just label it one of the best healthy recipes to cross my path in a WHILE.


The principle:  Use a ton of yummy fresh veggies, fry 'em up slow and low with olive oil and garlic and onion, throw some scrambled egg on top.  Serve with meat and strong, sweet coffee.  And salsa.  Definitely some tomato based bite goes well with this food.

My take:  You see here - an onion, too much garlic, three small carrots, half a small head of broccoli, three leaves of swiss chard (including stems), maybe 10 dandelion green leaves, two small blue potatoes, dried oregano, dried onion, salt and pepper.

Saute the onion in a ton of olive oil (remember you're going to make scrambled eggs in this pan).  Add potatoes, carrots, garlic - you know, the hard stuff - when the onion gets soft and translucentish.  When those things are about half cooked, add the green things.  This isn't the usual flash fry I do with the green things, and that's why the usually bitter chard stems and dandelion greens taste so good.  Saute low and slow until everything is *thoroughly* cooked, then add your usual scrambled egg mix on top.

The Italian Man added bell pepper (delish - and adds a nice sweetness, but my hubs is allergic), mushrooms, celery, a few other types of green crunchy things... basically, you put good yummy food in the pan, you fry it up, and you add egg.

If you want to use it as a side dish, skip the egg.

I am not over stuffed but my body is singing a carol of happy nutrition to me.  "Ah, you have *fed* me".

Srsly, I'll be doing this again (soon, I have more dandelion greens) and very probably for dinner.

NOM.

(Yes, this is how I write recipes.  A little of this, a little of that, cook it well...  Sorry, that's how I think in the kitchen.)

1 comment:

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.