Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Doing what you love

Reading over at Jenny's place the other day: http://www.delightfuloak.com/im-beautiful-no-matter-how-fat-i-get/ and over at Mark's Daily Apple:  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/do-your-workouts-feel-like-a-chore/

I've been through this cycle lately - well, end of last year.  I was dieting very strictly, which was awesome until it stopped working... except that it wasn't awesome, because it left me really obsessed with food.  And exhausted.  It took months to get back to myself - and I gained all the weight back, plus more.  Typical for most radical diets, not typical for my diets.  :/  Usually I pop up a bit, but not past the mark.

So I started back up with health in mind, rather than "I must lose 10lb by next week".  Started doing T-Tapp again, which my body likes.  It gives me better posture, shortens my cycles, etc.  Puts on muscle, tightens me up quickly, but it doesn't lead to quick weight loss.  C'est la vie.  But though my body likes the results, sometimes I do have to poke myself to get the workouts in.  Being muscle-sore gets old, and I get muscle sore from filing my nails, I think.

Yesterday the kids and I hit the beach for the first time this summer.  The kids have gotten big enough, and good enough at swimming that I don't have to hold hands constantly and watch them every-single-second, which means I can swim along with and really swim and have fun.  It was FUN.  I was sooo stiff last night, having bounced and frolicked in the waves for an hour (jump, dive, bounce, fight current).  But I had soo much fun.  And today I got up and T-Tapped - because I loved how much stronger I am and how much more flexible.  Motivation.  I want to go back, and I want to go back soon!  :)

So, this is dove-tailing with some stuff I was thinking about, some stuff I'm working on in my life, and over at HHH.

Sometimes you have to do the right things because they're the right things.  In fact, I think that's mostly what we really should be concentrating on - doing the right things and chilling out about the results.  We're not always in control of the results.  Oh, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't adjust our course if something is clearly off... but if you know you're doing right?  Just keep doing it.

My new order of operations goes like this:

Pray. (Ask direction, ask blessing)
Show up.
Do your best.
Leave the results to God.

Now.... let's see how I do with putting that into action.  ;)

5 comments:

  1. I so agree with you. The results are always in the Lord's hands. Our call is to be faithful not in control. I can't tell you the number of times I have found comfort in that fact that the Lord directs the results and I'm not in charge of how things turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link Hearthie! I love your order of operations. The battery on my scale went dead this week too, so I've been forced to focus on my goals instead of that tiny little number on the scale. I don't think I'm going to replace it anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to leave some of this as a comment on your blog, but I stayed on the after-comment-page for hours and nothing. :p

      Delete
    2. Jenny - the same thing happened to me last week - battery died and I'm seriously thinking of not replacing it until July and just breaking the choke-hold the "magic number" has on me. It's hard to stay positive when you're hopping on the scale couple times a day with the insane expectation that the number will magically change because you didn't eat breakfast and then didn't eat lunch - and then being excited that it DID CHANGE; only to be right back where it was when you step onto the scale right after dinner. Ugly, ugly habit - gets in the way of progress and seriously messes with your head.

      Delete
    3. I've been trying to weigh myself only once a month. The first Monday after my cycle is over. I slip up a little, but that's my goal.

      Yday noticed I really am getting stronger. I'm sore, always -snarkin- sore. But this stronger thing is nice.

      Delete

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.