Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Hobby vs. Craft

It's time.  It's time to stop thinking of my sewing as a hobby and think of it as my craft.

I've actually been doing that the last two projects, and you can tell.  Boyhowdy can you tell on the periwinkle shirt.  It's so much nicer... although certainly some of that is the difference in fabric.  But - it's the attention to detail.  The "make it right" not "just let's get through it".  It's putting the mental effort in, to take the lessons I've learned over the past five? years I've been sewing and put them to work.  To try new techniques that I've read about, to try new stitches, to experiment with notions and fabric.  To bring it all together and move on.

I don't know why it's so hard, to give over the idea of "hobby" or "pastime" and replace it with "craft" or "passion".  I guess because it moves the base-level of expectation way up.  No more sloppy-jalopy finishing, no way.  I'm a craftsperson!

Part of the transition - I finally joined the American Sewing Guild.  It's not like there's a bar to membership.  You register, send them some money, they send you a card and tell you when the next meeting is.  And you get a very nifty magazine subscription.  (I think the goodies that go with the membership will offset the price).  So why get so kerfuffled?  Because to *me*... I'm saying, "I'm worthy of hanging out with other seamstresses".  I feel like I'm moving from junior high to high school - scared and nervous and knowing it's all pretty silly but... still.  I'm claiming it.

Yes, I'm silly.

I wonder who I'll be NEXT year?

The other side of the coin:  http://hearthtobelovely.wordpress.com/2014/06/03/maturation-graduation/

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you joined the American Sewing Guild. You sew so well and it is always a pleasure to come over here and look at your latest project. Although I can sew basic things, I do not have the time or the passion to pursue it further. However, my mother was a true seamstress in many areas. I have kept a few of the things she made for me because, although they are too small at this point, they are so beautifully made that I can't bear to let them go. You can't buy clothing that is so well-made any longer, it seems. I think it is important to pursue the gifts and callings which the Lord gives us as He enables us in our circumstances and resources. Each of us has a unique place in His kingdom and our hands and hearts are needed to help spread His gospel in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) That's one of the reasons I make things, it's very hard to find quality items any longer.

      Delete

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.