Thursday, July 24, 2014

Just another tiered skirt

Working my way through the Spring Wardrobe Fabric Stash... I got 'round to sewing up the white-rose tiered skirt.  It goes with three (at least) of my blouses and most of my tanktops.



It came out a bit fluffier than my last skirt did.  I wanted more fluff at the hem and seem to have more at the top too!  (I really like a *lot* of fabric at the hem of my tiered skirts - it's like I'm wearing nothing at all, they hold really far away from my legs, and I have loads of room to move around).

 It took me a while to figure out which embroidery stitch I'd use to hem and finish the gathers - somehow this print didn't work with most of the usual suspects.


This is my Zyla "tranquil color" - the color I'm supposed to turn to at the end of a long day, or when I need to chill out and center generally.  We'll see if I find myself reaching for this skirt at those times.  For now, I'm pairing it with an aqua tanktop while I start my day.  Tiered cotton skirts are workhorses in my life all summer long - they're cool, they're comfortable, they launder easily, and they help me look put together effortlessly.  And now I have three... :)

4 comments:

  1. that is so pretty! Love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you. They're easy to make - esp if you don't worry about elastic waists, which you wouldn't have to worry over. Just rectangles and gathering.

      Delete
  2. So pretty. How long does it take you to make one of these Miss Hearthie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I made a tiered skirt with an elastic waist and either didn't finish or serged the seams, it would take 2-4 hours, including the cutting.

      It takes me 8-10 hours to make one of these, because I make a fitted yoke (pudgy middles don't work with elastic waists, and I tuck my shirts in), put buttons on the waistband, embroider the gathered seams, put french seams on the vertical seams, and I put a waist stay in this one so the waistband doesn't "grow" on me (the red rose skirt will be getting retrofitted with one - it's 2" too big now!). I put a button placket in this instead of a zipper - it's a very short placket. But either way, that's a closure you don't have on elastic waists.

      Soo... um... this would be a really quick make but I mess with it. ;)

      Delete

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.