Friday, August 1, 2014

Creativity and Purpose

I was talking to a lady last night and something gelled in my heart and head that has been swimming along for ages.

I truly believe that all humans need to create, and that they need to create value.  Although I know that my role as wife and mother and homemaker is an important role, it is, essentially support.  I keep all the plates spinning, I keep life going as it should.  That's my job - my primary function in life.  And that's fine.

But it's not everything.  I need a corner of my life to work on something frustrating.  Something to swear at and struggle with and conquer.  I need to come fresh from the battle with something worthwhile in my hands.  I need to *create*.  And I need to create something that is valuable, not something made of pipe cleaners and paper towels.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 

That's the verse on my sidebar - and it's there for a reason.  We're not meant to worry about the minutiae of life - or even the big parts of life.  But we have worry to spare... we have focus to spare... we have this urge.  Why not think on those things that are lovely?  Why not create those things that are lovely?  Song or cloth or art or dance or tables or gardens or dinners or .... the world needs all the beauty it can get.  

When we cut ourselves off from this way of improving ourselves, from this way of improving the world around us, we let some part of our hearts shrivel up and waste away.   We become vulnerable to the accusations of our own irrelevance.  For what have we done?  What are we for?  What value do we have?

This is not the only thing that we need.  But it is one thing.  And in filling this need, we conquer not merely the creative battles in our paths, we conquer many fears without even noticing them.  So many attacks on our souls become irrelevant, as we allow our hearts to fully trust in our Lord and concentrate on the good work that He has put in our hands for this day.

Matthew 6:33-34  But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.