Saturday, September 13, 2014

Tonight's Menu: Lettuce wraps, rice noodles and Thai peanut sauce

I just fed six adult appetites (my kids eat a lot, lol) and a toddler on a couple of packets of ground chicken, a couple of heads of lettuce, and a couple of packets of rice noodles.  Three of those appetites were adult men, and all of us did hard work all day - either moving, at work, or yardwork.  Everyone *raved*, and it was a very easy meal on a hot day.  So - sharing.  I don't really measure, so uh... work with me.

Lettuce wraps (chicken):

3lb ground chicken
1/2 white onion, diced fine
3 stalks celery, diced fine
1 bunch green onions, sliced
3 carrots, grated
Spices and yumminess... sriracha sauce (4tbsp?), soy sauce, hoisin sauce, black pepper, salt, garam masala, worchester sauce, sesame oil  .... I just put it in until it tasted good.  I know, helpful.

I fried the white onion and the chicken in some sunflower oil, then added the spices.  When the chicken was mostly cooked, I added the celery and the scallions.  When it was completely cooked, I tossed in the grated carrots and let the ambient heat cook them a teensy bit.

Two heads lettuce - I used green leaf lettuce, and I'm going to put about half a head of lettuce away.  You wash and separate the lettuce leaves.  Drain/dry them.

Spoon chicken mix into lettuce leaves - three leaves with 1/4c mix seemed to fill up the average bear.  The not-average bears went back for seconds.

Rice noodles:  Follow package directions.  I got the threads, you just have to stick them in hot water for 10 minutes, then drain.  I tossed the noodles with a bit of peanut sauce, then served individual puddles of peanut sauce for ... well.  It's peanut sauce.

Thai Peanut Sauce:  My family alleges that they will eat this if I pour it over bricks.  It's easy to make, just messy.  I make this giant thing of peanut sauce because I could never figure out what to do with the rest of the can of coconut milk before it went off.  It freezes very nicely, and it's an awesome thing to have in your bag of tricks.  Anyway, we all nom on this like mad creatures.  And yes, you really need the fish sauce.  I hate fish... use the fish sauce.

Peanut Sauce

1 can coconut milk
4 cups natural peanut butter (get it at the whole foods store, they have it in little plastic tubs)
1 1/3 cup water
8 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp sesame oil
8 tbsp brown sugar
8 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp tamarind paste OR 4 Tbsp lime juice (fresh)
4 tsp sriracha sauce (or more, this amount gives it flavor but no bite)

Blend all in a food processor.  Or use a stick blender.  Whatever.  Just make sure the garlic gets blended and the rest gets mixed thoroughly, it's all pretty liquidy so it goes together in a very straightforward fashion.  Freeze the extra, you'll get tired of it in a few days (I know, seems amazing to me too - but experience shows you only want one good wallow in the heaven of peanut sauce/wk or so).

So that was dinner.  I fried up some chicken, threw in some spices, chopped up a few veggies, washed some lettuce and defrosted some peanut sauce.  Healthy, relatively cheap, and everyone loved it.

I share.  :)

3 comments:

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.