I don't work with wool often.
I don't make many tailored garments.
Jackets? Um. No, not really.
Thus, I've done three sets of bound buttonholes. One for my green jacket a la Gertie, one for the red, and one for the ivory linen bolero (which I totally flubbed).
None of my experiences was anything like "fun" or "easy" - and that last set of bound buttonholes *almost* had me committing to hand-worked buttonholes for my coat. Only DH (and my admitted lack of ability in handsewing) convinced me to give it another go.
I think it's totally unfair that something that makes or breaks your garments *entire* look - the whole, "does this look professional, or does this look homemade" is 1) do it right the first time or else 2) done on the first step. I've not even gotten to know my coat yet, why do I have to play with fire? -sigh-
Thread tracing and machine basting the heck out of *everything* has made all the difference (well, with the Vogue instructions) and I think, I *think* I might have beaten the bound buttonhole at long last. We'll see... I have the handstitching phase to do on five more!
Fun with blogging. Maeve was full of all kinds of good advice about buttons, so of course I needed to take a picture of the buttons I'd safetypinned to my jacket to decide on placement. And then I decided, "hm. This won't do - I need to put the lapel and collar on or she won't get the full effect". Whereupon I found out that my top button needed to come down and in - it was hidden under the lapel!
So I'm really pleased that I took that picture... well, this picture... (before and after). Thanks, God!
Lots of measuring and fiddling today. I dunno, but I think this just might go pretty quickly, now that I've started at all.