Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Ready for my closeup, Mr. DeMille...

We are DONE!*

 A fully lined, perfectly fitting, overcoat.  Vogue 8346, for those playing along at home.   She weighs 6lb!!

It is made in 100% wool with a polyester brocade lining.  (If you're going to sew your own coats, get a great lining.  I could have gone plain.  I agonized over "will this be flexible enough?"  It is.)

Changes in the pattern?  The original pattern calls for faux buttons on the front, with snaps (snaps???!!?) to hold the coat front closed.  The original pattern doesn't call for any of the interesting hand tailoring that I did.  I also made the sleeve a two-piece sleeve.

You can see that I put in two sets of buttonholes - only one of which is visible from the outside.  The other set fastens a hidden (flat) set of buttons.  When we *do* get inclement weather here - it's windy.  No sense having a coat that won't stay closed.

I moved the buttons where I wanted them, choosing a single line to the side.  I think this is flattering to my figure.

Yes, the coat has pockets!  I nearly didn't put them in, and I did have to move them up for my short arms... but I have pockets.  :)

Plenty of room in the sleeve and the armhole for the warm fuzzy sweater I am not wearing at the moment.  But still - a good fit through the torso.  Layering room w/out being sloppy.  Yay!

This little gal has been YEARS sitting in my cedar chest waiting for me to get up the courage to make her.  And now that I've made her, I expect to get decades of wear from her.

It's a banner day, folks.  A banner day.




*  There's a little weirdness happening with the hem.  I'm going to let her hang a bit and then I'll see what needs fiddling with.  She's ankle length, if you were wondering.  High ankle, a good length to keep all of me warm but stay mostly out of the mudpuddles.

17 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I love the off-center buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lining, you look fabulous in it, Hearthie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous coat! It's been so fun to watch your progress on this project. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Coat - Fantastic job! It's lovely, and looks great on you. Love the lining you chose - definitely a plus. Did you have any trouble changing the sleeves to 2-pc.
    I too have this pattern, but have not got around to making it yet, as I have 2 raincoats, 1 long coat and am working on my second short coat; Can you tell I like coats???
    Thanks for sharing this..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No, at this point in my sewing career, the modifications to make a one piece into a two piece were as nothing. I used the instructions in Adele Margolis' book - very simple. If you would like me to explain what I did in detail, I would be happy to do so.

      Delete
  5. This is just so lovely. It looks beautiful on you - as though it was always meant to be worn by you - fnny that - IT WAS!

    And I've loved every moment you've shared on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you deserve to be so proud of this gorgeous coat. Love how it fits and flatters and so will function wonderfully. Very inspiring as I gear up to make my first one this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you're doing it, do it - that's my best advice. Go for the proper weight interfacing (doesn't have to be hand-tailored). Get good fabric. And take your sweet time with fitting - you'll be happy you did when it comes time for sewing up.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you! And you know how long I've been stalling. :D

      Delete
  8. That is gorgeous. It looks great on you too.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments lovely. I encourage discussion, but I will erase ugliness. And let's not shoot fish in a barrel please - no picking on specific people, even celebrities.