We are DONE!*
A fully lined, perfectly fitting, overcoat. Vogue 8346, for those playing along at home. She weighs 6lb!!
It is made in 100% wool with a polyester brocade lining. (If you're going to sew your own coats, get a great lining. I could have gone plain. I agonized over "will this be flexible enough?" It is.)
Changes in the pattern? The original pattern calls for faux buttons on the front, with snaps (snaps???!!?) to hold the coat front closed. The original pattern doesn't call for any of the interesting hand tailoring that I did. I also made the sleeve a two-piece sleeve.
You can see that I put in two sets of buttonholes - only one of which is visible from the outside. The other set fastens a hidden (flat) set of buttons. When we *do* get inclement weather here - it's windy. No sense having a coat that won't stay closed.
I moved the buttons where I wanted them, choosing a single line to the side. I think this is flattering to my figure.
Yes, the coat has pockets! I nearly didn't put them in, and I did have to move them up for my short arms... but I have pockets. :)
Plenty of room in the sleeve and the armhole for the warm fuzzy sweater I am not wearing at the moment. But still - a good fit through the torso. Layering room w/out being sloppy. Yay!
This little gal has been YEARS sitting in my cedar chest waiting for me to get up the courage to make her. And now that I've made her, I expect to get decades of wear from her.
It's a banner day, folks. A banner day.
* There's a little weirdness happening with the hem. I'm going to let her hang a bit and then I'll see what needs fiddling with. She's ankle length, if you were wondering. High ankle, a good length to keep all of me warm but stay mostly out of the mudpuddles.